Areas of Practice
Probate and Trust Administration
Corporations, Partnerships, and LLCs
Corporate and Business Law
Honors and Awards
The Best Lawyers in America® “Ones to Watch” (Trusts and Estates), 2021
Professional Associations and Memberships
State Bar of California
San Diego County Bar Association
**Practice temporarily authorized pending admission under Rule 39(b). Supervision by Daniel L. Hulsizer, a member of the State Bar of Arizona.
LL.M. in Taxation, University of San Diego, 2021
J.D., Boston College, 2011
B.A., summa cum laude, Arizona State University, 2007
Phil Hilliard’s practice focuses on estate planning, tax planning, and business planning for closely held companies.
Phil has experience advising and assisting high-net-worth individuals and families on all aspects of their estate plans, including forming strategies for lifetime gifts, establishing revocable and irrevocable trusts designed to minimize estate tax, and succession planning for the transfer of a family-owned business. In tailoring estate plans to suit each client’s unique estate planning preferences and objectives, Phil has experience with the following:
- Revocable living trust;
- Irrevocable trust;
- Irrevocable life insurance trust;
- Grantor retained annuity trust (GRAT) and grantor retained unitrust (GRUT);
- Spousal lifetime access trust (SLAT);
- Intentionally defective grantor trust (IDGT);
- Charitable planning, including charitable lead trusts and charitable remainder trusts;
- Family limited partnership;
- Single asset limited liability company; and
- Single purpose limited liability company.
Phil also has experience advising clients on tax compliance and tax controversy matters, including extensive work on IRS audits of estate tax returns, and advising and assisting clients in probate and trust administration.